Price: £145 (Twins £190) From: 18 - 24 weeks gestation
This is a detailed scan where the sonographer will examine the anatomy of your baby to exclude structural abnormalities. The anomaly scan can be performed between 18 – 24 weeks although it is normally performed at 20 weeks. The reason an anomaly scan isn't performed earlier in the pregnancy is because your baby's internal organs are not fully formed and after 24 weeks a full anatomical examination may not be possible because the baby will often be in a difficult position.
Why have an Anomaly Scan?
After checking your baby’s heartbeat, the main purpose of anomaly scans is to check your baby’s anatomy for normality. Anomaly scans are important because it provides the best opportunity to examine all the anatomy of your baby in great detail.
During your anomaly scan the sonographer will spend the majority of the appointment looking at various anatomical details that may not be immediately recognisable to the untrained eye, all sonographers at Premier Scans will explain what they are looking at as they scan your baby. If an abnormality is detected or suspected on your scan the Sonographer will discuss this with you. You will be given a report to take away and an appointment will be arranged for you at the hospital within a few days. You will then be scanned again, once a diagnosis has been made the management of the pregnancy will be discussed further.
About your Anomaly Scan
Anomaly scans are normally performed through the tummy (trans-abdominally) as using the latest technology high resolution ultrasound machine we are usually able to obtain a clear image using this technique. If however the image is unclear you will be asked to empty your bladder in preparation for a scan to be performed internally (trans-vaginally). This is not painful and is sometimes the best way to obtain clear images, especially if the fetal head is low down in the maternal pelvis.
- Preparation: No specific preparation is required although sometimes we may ask you to fill your bladder as this may allow identification of certain landmarks.
- Appointment length: Approximately 40 minutes, of which you can expect 20 to 30 minutes of scanning time.
What's included in your Anomaly Scan?
- Photographs: 4 x Thermal images are available free of charge
- DVD: The entire scan including any of the free 4D footage will be captured
- CD-ROM: All still images are stored onto a CD-ROM in JPEG format. This allows for storage, emailing and reprinting at a later date
- Pregnancy Report: A detailed report confirming all the scan findings will be produced including appropriate measurements.
What's not included in your Anomaly Scan
- Fetal Sexing: Optional - If possible to detect, you will be asked at the end of your appointment if you wish to know the sex of your baby. Please note this is not the main objective of the anomaly scan.
More about Anomaly Scans:
- How do I book an anomaly scan?
- When do I receive results of my anomaly scan?
- What can you see in an anomaly scan?
- Why choose Premier Scans for my anomaly scan?
- What is a free 3D/4D Peek?
Get in touch to find out more or make an enquiry.Contact Us
"An amazing experience! Thank you very much x " Minisra, West Midlands