Premier Scans provide a full range of ultrasound diagnostic services to women with gynaecological problems. Ultrasound is used in gynaecologic investigation to assess the pelvic organs. Some reasons why a gynaecological ultrasound scan may be needed are:
- Abnormal periods or bleeding
- Pelvic pain
- To assess a lump that has been found such fibroids or ovarian cysts
- Polycystic ovaries
- Post-menopausal bleeding
- To check for coil position
Full gynaecological scan
This is performed for women with a variety of gynaecological complaints including infertility. Initially you will be asked to give a brief outline of your problem, the day of your last period (if relevant) and whether you have had any significant gynaecological or other medical problems in the past.
What is checked:
- The size and shape of the womb (uterus)
- The cervix
- The thickness of the lining of the womb (endometrium)
- The size and appearances of the ovaries
- The position of an intra-uterine contraceptive device in the uterus
- Any cysts or pelvic abnormalities
Normal fallopian tubes cannot be seen on the scan. Any pathology will be clearly documented.
About your Gynaecological Scan
The sonographer will initially scan you via your tummy. Most scans are then performed vaginally, in other words an internal examination. If a vaginal scan is inappropriate or not possible then the whole scan can be carried out abdominally although the images obtained by the abdominal scan are not as good as those from an internal scan, so we prefer to carry out an internal scan if possible.
- Preparation: Please try to attend with a full bladder - we generally advise that you drink 1 to 2 litres of fluid about 90 minutes before the scan.
- Appointment length: 30 minutes of which you can expect 10-20 minutes scanning duration.
All our scans are archived onto a reporting database and a letter is generated immediately after the scan. We are happy to provide a copy of the report to your GP or referring doctor.
There are no risks following these scans.
A full gynaecological scan can be the precursor for women experiencing fertility problems - see our fertility scan page for further details about fertility scans.
More about Gynaecology Scans:
Get in touch to find out more or make an enquiry.Contact Us
"Everyone made me feel so relaxed and they were so warm and welcoming. Would recommend to a friend/family. Very child friendly environment for my little one too. " B Morrison, Sutton Coldfield