Early Pregnancy Scan
Price: £55 From: 6 – 15 weeks 6 days gestation
An Early Pregnancy Scan (sometimes called a Viability Scan or Dating Scan) is often done to provide reassurance in the very early stages of your pregnancy. You can have a private early pregnancy scan any time from 6 weeks onwards as we should see a heartbeat although, at this stage it is very small (approximately 5mm). These dates are calculated from the first day of your last menstrual period (LMP), not the day of conception. Before 5 weeks it is not possible to see any signs of a pregnancy with current ultrasound technology. Waiting a few weeks will allow you to see more, and if all looks good at 8 weeks you will be reassured to know the chance of miscarriage is very low. If you are unsure of dates or have an irregular menstrual cycle you may wish to wait 2 weeks from a positive pregnancy test to be sure of seeing signs of a pregnancy.
Why have an Early Pregnancy Scan?
Early Pregnancy Scans are not routinely offered on the NHS but you may have one privately without affecting your NHS entitlement. Sometimes it is requested by a doctor or midwife to confirm that your pregnancy is healthy (in this case your scan is often called a viability scan) and to calculate the date when your baby is due (usually referred to as a dating scan). It can be also performed to confirm the results of a pregnancy test or just to provide you with some reassurance that all is progressing as it should.
Generally the reasons for having an Early Pregnancy Scan are to:
- Confirm the viability of the pregnancy (check that there is a heartbeat present).
- Establish the number of babies (exclude a multiple pregnancy).
- Check the site of the pregnancy i.e, exclude ectopic pregnancy.
- Calculate the gestational age of the pregnancy.
- Bleeding/spotting or unusual pain
About your Early Pregnancy Scan
Early pregnancy scans are normally performed trans-abdominally (through your tummy) however, an internal scan may be required at earlier gestations i.e. 6-7 weeks or if your womb tilts backwards (retroverted). This is safe for both you and the baby and should not be painful although we will always try trans-abdominally first.
If for any reason the sonographer is unable to provide a clinical diagnosis on the day, you will be informed of this and the possible reasons why. A full detailed report will be provided explaining the scan results. You may be advised to have a further scan to enable a diagnosis to be made in approximately 1-2 weeks, you may wish to return to Premier Scans for this however the early pregnancy scan fee applies (£55) or you may wish to discuss the scan findings with your GP/midwife. If an abnormality is detected or suspected on your scan the Sonographer will discuss this with you. You will be given a report to take away and an appointment will be arranged for you at the hospital within a few days. You will then be scanned again, once a diagnosis has been made the management of the pregnancy will be discussed further.
- Preparation: Please try to attend with a moderately full bladder as this may improve the visibility of the scan trans-abdominally.
- Appointment length: Approximately 20 minutes, of which you can expect 5 to 10 minutes of scanning time.
What’s included in your Private Early Pregnancy Scan
- Immediate results: A detailed report confirming all the scan findings will be produced including appropriate measurements.
- Pictures: 4 x Black and white 2D Thermal images available free of charge
What’s not included in your Private Early Pregnancy Scan
- DVD: Not available.
- CD-ROM: Not included (but this may be purchased separately for an additional fee of £10).
- Fetal Sexing: Not available, please refer to Gender/Sexing Scans.
Is it easy to make an appointment?
We offer morning, afternoon and occasional evening appointments during the week as well as Saturday and occasional Sunday appointments. We have a wide range of availability at our private ultrasound clinic in Lichfield therefore, we will always try to accommodate short notice appointments.
More about Early Pregnancy Scans:
How do I book an early pregnancy scan?
How do I receive results of my early pregnancy scan?
What to expect in an early pregnancy scan?
What can you see in an early pregnancy scan?
Why choose Premier Scans for my early pregnancy scan?
What is a free 3D/4D peek?